25 October 2009

Ellesborough, around Chequers up Beacon Hill, 7.2 mile circular

A cracking walk today. A good stomp up a steep hill got us underway, and we threaded and wound our way through woods and up and down hills for just over seven miles. We saw Red Kites and a few Buzzards, but hardly any other birds apart from Rooks.

The hills around Chequers provided suitable challenges til the last. Our final hike after lunch was a steady gentle uphill followed by the steepest, longest ascent I've done so far - I shot up Beacon Hill near the church in Ellesborough in less than three minutes. I pushed myself incredibly hard, using my pole to pull myself up. By the time I reached to top I was heaving for breath but so elated at having made the climb so quickly and without stopping. The sun came out and the view was simply astonishing. I had an overwhelming feeling of achievement and wonder at such an astounding sight. I could have spent ages up there just taking in the surroundings, but my parents were moving on so I had to follow down the side of the hill, dropping 75m to the car. I'd definitely do this walk again and I'd love to take others to see the view.