27 June 2010

Todmorden to Hebden Bridge, linear canal walk, 5.15 miles

Waking early after the party and finding the whole house strewn with drunken snoring bodies, I donned my trainers and decided to take a wander around the park opposite the house. Instead, I looked around a graveyard then walked toward town, investigating the train station to see what time trains returned to Todmorden. It crossed my mind to carry on walking as far as I could and get back by bus or train. "As far as I could" turned out to be to Hebden Bridge station as when I arrived there I checked the time of the next train - 100 minutes to wait - and considered walking to the next station, but on inspecting a slight tickle on my right foot it turned out I'd given myself some impressive blisters.

If I'd had my boots I'd have walked to Stoodley Pike again. After a mile or two a sign told me it was eight miles - I could have walked there and got back to the house at a similar time, but my feet told me sensibly to have a rest.

Three herons, only four other people, an incredibly friendly cat and a nice, simple plod along the towpath, I estimate this at about four miles although without the GPS it's hard to say for sure.